Friday, August 8, 2014

2 Years In

Wow, my last post was from my first month of teaching 2 years ago.  I guess you could say I've been a little busy!  And here I am again, attempting to write another blog post!  There is no way I could possibly summarize my last 2 years in a single blog post, so I'll just try to write some key points:

  • The first year of teaching is hard.  Really hard.  I worked harder than I ever did in my life.  I probably cried more than I ever did.  I never imagined it would be as hard it was.  I also never imagined I would get to find a job that was so rewarding and I was so passionate about.  I am honored to be a teacher and am grateful every day for the choice I made to become a teacher and for the opportunities I get to hear stories of resilient kids and to speak love and truth into their hearts.
  • My first year I taught a little bit of everything (quite literally)... 2nd graders, 4th graders, 8th graders, and all grades in between.  I taught general education reading classes, along with handling a heavy case load (2 SPED teachers for a K-8 school with 650 students... you can do the math), teaching math, reading, social skills, and more.  Baptism by fire.  Sometimes I look back and am amazed I actually made it through that first year.  I think it is only by the grace and mercy of God that I made it.
  • Year 2 felt like night and day compared to year 1.  I focused primarily on middle school, with a few upper elementary groups.  We had an additional SPED teacher, smaller case loads, my relationships with students were stronger, and I had a much better grasp on our jobs.  My students were making significant growth, teaching was becoming easier (although easier is subjective), and I was really enjoying what I was doing.  
  • At the same time, I felt like my school was not the greatest fit for me.  As I evolved over the past 2 years, my teaching philosophy continued to adjust and shift, I was still battling for special education to have a voice in my school, and was really not getting the support or resources I needed for my students.  I also felt that I wanted to focus more on upper elementary- after 2 years with middle school, I began to think middle school may not be for me long-term, but I always loved teaching my upper elementary students. It was with a heavy heart that I decided to not return for year 3 at that school, and so I began to pursue SPED positions at other schools in Denver.  
  • As I pursued other job opportunities, sending out resumes, attending interviews, etc., I ran into my former Instructional Coach, who took a job last year at an expeditionary learning school in Denver.  She told me they were looking for a new SPED teacher and honestly, I feel like I hit a jackpot.  This school follows a unique model, and its core beliefs and values align so incredible well with mine.  I am joining a very strong SPED team, with veteran teachers who are positive, passionate, and hard-working.  I get to focus on teaching 4th and 5th grade students with Mild/Moderate needs.  As each day gets closer to the school year to begin, I continue to get more excited and feel more and more lucky for this opportunity God has so graciously provided me.  
  • Oh, and I got married.  Yes, in the last 2 years, I met and married an amazing man, and am entering the incredible season of marriage.  I am so lucky and blessed and learning each day how to be the wife God has called me to be. 
  • Obviously it's summer right now, and I'm not always the best at keeping up with these blogs, but I will try to post more, to reflect more, and to include some helpful resources for SPED teachers... resources I wish I would have had a few years ago.  Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment